Abundance Comes From Living On Purpose

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Service, Not Sacrifice, Is Essential To Abundance

As an avid student of Ayn Rand's philosophy as outlined in her famous book,
Atlas Shrugged
, I am forced to consider the idea of sacrifice. As a Christian, I accept that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice to pay for my salvation. The night before his crucifixion, he washed his disciples' feet and instructed them to be servants of each other. To me the basic premise of both sacrifice and service is willingness.

When one is not free to choose whether to serve or sacrifice something, then that is slavery. And slavery comes from many places. It can come from people, governments and even from our thoughts. However, most slaves become so because because they willingly allow this condition to happen.

So to be in service is a good thing. It is to the degree that we offer service to others that we are rewarded for our efforts. As human beings, we were created for increase, both personal and corporate. The idea that we are here only to give and never to receive is irrational. So being forced to sacrifice something to benefit another is slavery.

If I can inspire one other person to break loose of any kind of enslavement, then I am successful. I look for ways to be of service in all areas of my life. However, when I feel I am being forced to sacrifice something against my will, I become understandably resistant. It is service, not sacrifice, that is essential to abundance and a fuller life. I invite everyone to meditate on that thought today.

Sandra Hayes
803-391-7577

No comments: