Abundance Comes From Living On Purpose

Monday, March 8, 2010

Being of Service

One of our greatest purposes in life is to be of service to others. As John Dunne said, "No man is an island." We are all connected by the very fact that we live in the same world. Having spent greater than 30 years of my life as a registered nurse, being of service to others has always been important to me.

Just as important is my recognizing the service that others provide to me. It is such a blessing to be able reflect on all the awesome people, present and past, who have provided great service to me and others. I just read the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. This was truly an inspiring work about one man in history who contributed so much.

I could never begin to name all the people who have directly or indirectly made it possible for me to think and live as abundantly as I do today. My creator and savior would be at the top of the list. Then there are the great writers, teachers, mentors, many of whom I have forgotten. The best part is that I keep adding to this list daily. I never tire of reading and listening for more guidance on how to live out my highest purpose.

The more we learn and grow individually, the more service we can offer to others. It begins with establishing relationships and communicating in a caring manner. People are so interesting and interested in becoming better. My purpose is to allow others to help me become better in some area and then pass this on as I assist another to do the same.

Regardless of our so-called profession, we are all in the human profession of serving and being served every day. How noble a calling life is. We are each called to be of service to someone every day. I pray that I am alert to every opportunity I am given to make a difference in some small way.

In your service,
Sandra Hayes

No comments: